On October 18, 2018, Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame inducted its newest Hall of Famers. The Class of 2018 includes six athletes and two sport builders who have each contributed a tremendous amount to their sport, communities, and to our country. Their perseverance and success inspire us to be better in sport and in life. The Inductees include:
- Jeff Adams, six-time World Champion wheelchair racer
- Damon Allen, four-time Grey Cup champion
- The late Mary Baker, the first Canadian to sign with the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League
- Chandra Crawford, Olympic Gold Medallist in Cross Country Skiing
- Alexandre Despatie, two-time Olympic Silver Medallist for Diving
- David Keon, four-time Stanley Cup Champion with the Toronto Maple Leafs
- Sandra Kirby, an accomplished educator, sport administrator, coach and activist fighting sexual harassment and abuse and violence against children in sport
- Wilton Littlechild, a pioneering role model, organizer and advocate for Indigenous sport
As part of the Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame’s Induction Celebrations, two schools from the Greater Toronto region, Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Mary’s Elementary School, were invited to participate in our education program. Hall of Famer, Sue Holloway, hosted the program. The excited students were treated to the inaugural public viewing of the outstanding CBC produced video, “What’s in the Hall,” a compilation of some of Canada’s heroes and events from our athletic past. Sue Holloway gave a wonderful presentation on qualities and characteristics of individuals pursuing their goals, achieving high standards, and recognizing the support everyone needs for success. She complimented her presentation with personal photos and anecdotes from her family, training, and competitions.
The highlight of the education program was the introduction of the Inducted Class of 2018. Please visit our website, sportshall.ca, for their full biographies and accomplishments. During the students’ question and answer period they related to the challenges they met and overcame during their lives and athletic careers. After, there was a viewing of the Class’ artefacts, autographs opportunities and photos.
Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame NEW EXHIBIT:
It’s officially open! Come check out the 2018 Hall of Famer’s Locker Room Exhibit that features artefacts from all of our Inductees. Come experience the incredible legacy of these Canadian sports legends by seeing artefacts including Chandra Crawford’s skis to Mary “Bonnie” Baker’s All American Girls Professional Baseball League Players Association replicated uniform. You will leave feeling inspired – not just in sport, but in life!